“A beautiful breathing technique that helps keep the mind calm, happy and peaceful. A few minutes of Nadi Shodhan pranayama in a day is best to de-stress the mind and release accumulated tension and fatigue. The breathing technique is named Nadi Shodhan, as it helps clear out blocked energy channels in the body, which in turn calms the mind.
1. Sit in lotus pose, or easy pose (criss cross) or on a chair
2. Keep your spine straight and your chin clightly tucked in towards your chest
3. Rest you left hand on your left knee, palm facing up, in gyan mudra (index finger pad touching the thumb pad)
4. Raise you right arm and using your right thumb, press on the side of your right nostril and inhale slowly through your left nostril (your inhalation should be inaudible)
5. Once you have inhaled completely, using your little and ring finger of your right hand, press on the left side of your nose and exhale slowly through the right nostril (exhalation should be inaudible)
6. Keeping the little and ring finger pressed on the left side of your nose, inhale through the right nostril.
7. Block the right nostril with your right thumb and exhale through the left nostril.
8. This completes one round
9. You may begin with 5 rounds daily and increase the number of rounds based on your capacity.
10. Do not strain. You should not be out of breath when practicing this. Do it with enthusiasm and faith. Keep your eyes closed when practicing.
Pranayama benefits us by bringing relief in conditions like sinus, respiratory problems, and asthma. It is also effective in dealing with conditions like constipation, flatulence, diabetes, and obesity. As Pranayama has no side effects, it is considered to be very effective for weight loss. Pranayama offers benefits in curing most of the internal body conditions and is very useful in releasing stress and anxiety.
Yoga practices can make us more and more sensitive to subtle sensations in the body. Paying attention to and staying with finer sensations within the body is one of the surest ways to steady the wandering mind. Yoga Arena provides you with the best videos of yoga asanas, pranayam, meditation and many more exercises to bring back the fitness and healthy living for everyone.